Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Interview with Michael Jones currently appearing in A Night With Pearl Cleage's Women at the Nuyorican Poets Cafe


Last Friday I had the pleasure of seeing one of our Alumni, Michael Jones in the play A Night With Pearl Cleage’s Women at the Nuyorican Poets Cafe, located at 236 East 3rd Street in NYC.  The show was presented by Juneteenth Legacy Theatre and Sugar Valley Theatricals. It was a delightful evening of theatre that takes you back in time to 1898, when freed slaves claimed the Kansas plains as their new home, and to 1930, when Harlem was the bastion for black artistic and intellectual freedom in A Night With Pearl Cleage’s Women, an adaptation of scenes from “Flyin West” and “Blues For an Alabama Sky”, that tells a story of love, betrayal, revenge and redemption. I had a moment to interview Michael about his experience working on the show.

Van:  Michael, it was good to see you in a powerful and charming play Blues For an Alabama Sky.  What was it like working on this play?
Michael: It was great, especially the time period.  Once I read the play, I was determined to get the part of Leland.  It was great working with this cast and the director.

Van:  How did you get involved with this production?  Did you have to audition? If yes, what was the experience like?
Michael:  I didn't have to audition initially.  I was invited to the callback.  This is my third production with Juneteenth Legacy Theatre.  The audition was great!  I got to read with Bryan Webster, who is also the co-producer, and our characters basically locked horns at the audition, which was a good thing for the play.

Van:  I know the director Rome Neal is a multiple AUDELCO Award winner and you've also received an AUDELCO Award.  What was it like to work with Rome?
Michael: This is my third production with Rome, second as a director, and first as also the lighting designer.  Rome's style reflects his insight into characters and the meaning behind the play.  I enjoyed the experience

Van:  The role of Leland, which you played with a smooth southern charm, was endearing.  Leland comes from a strong religious background and some recent events that he's had to deal with in his life effect him greatly.  How was it working on this role?  Can you discuss a little bit about Leland beliefs and some of the things he's gone through that shaped his views?
Michael:  I really enjoyed playing the character.  I had to look at his values, his boundaries, and what he wants ultimately.  Leland's the type of character that believes that a man should be with a woman-- no ifs, ands, or buts about it.  He recently lost his wife and child during child-bearing and is hoping to fill that void with the main character, Angel.  It was pretty intriguing.  He's unlike me in many ways, yet his convictions to whatever he believes, we're the same in that way.  However, I feel that we differ in that, he seems to have tunnel vision about certain issues that I don't.

Van:  Did you have to work with a dialect coach or did the southern accent come easily to you?
Michael:  I studied several Southern dialects pretty thoroughly.  I started out with a Forrest Gump-type cadence to my speech.  But eventually added more charm and poise to the character.

Van:  The play takes place in the 1930s in Harlem and deals with the Prohibition Era, the Depressions, Planned Parenthood and Gay Bashing?  How was it researching the time period and the various issues of the play?
Michael:  It's funny cause I just finished a play called, "The Hunch" which was set in the same era.  I enjoyed several things about that era; the clothing, the artists, and some of their ways.  It was intriguing learning what was acceptable at the time, what was unlawful at the time, and people's mindsets.

Van:  You're working with a wonderful cast: you have Patricia R. Floyd, who has extensive credits.  Some people may remember her from her recurring role on Law & Order as Judge Rochelle Desmond, as well as T. Renee Mathis and Bryan Webster.  What was it like working with the cast and what was your most memorable experience?
Michael:  This cast is powerful.  It's like playing basketball with Jordan or LeBron.  Bryan and Pat are gonna bring it, so you gotta come ready.  And T. Renee' is like a sister to me, so working with her was a blast.  I think what I'll remember most is how Bryan and Pat came with their A-game early on in rehearsals

Van:  Lorna Littleway, who is the Founder/Producing Director for Juneteenth Legacy Theatre did a wonderful job with the adaptation of Pearl Cleage's women.  I know the show is running until April 16th.  Do you have any other projects lined up after that?
Michael:  I currently have a play touring in New York schools called, "In My Skin,” that I want to film.   And I just auditioned for a new project, Pat Moran and Associates, who are best known for casting the HBO show, "The Wire.”

Van:  That’s great Michael and I wish you the best with those projects, but before we go, what advice can you give to actors working in the theatre?
Michael:  My advice would be to work hard.  If you respect the craft, continue to sharpen your tools, and persevere.  And read a lot of plays, and watch a lot of great movies.

Van:  Thank you Michael.  Well you read it here.  If you haven’t seen A Night With Pearl Cleage’s Women please run to the theatre.  It closes April 16th.

Show times are Thursdays and Fridays, 7PM and Saturdays, 3PM.  PCW flierTickets can be ordered online, Nuyorican or call 212-780-9386.  Reserved prices are: $20.00, $15.00/seniors & students; at the door: $25.00. Thursday shows are $10.00.   

This is the final weekend, April 14-16.  

Nuyorican is located at 236 E. 3rd St., between Avenues 
B and C. Travel directions available on Nuyorican website.
   

Cast: Joresa Blount as Minnie Dove and Miss Leah; *Bryan Webster (Standing rear) as Frank Charles and Guy Jacobs;  *T. Renee Mathis (seated) as Angel Allen and Fannie Dove; Michael Jones as Leland Cunningham (Standing in the foreground); *Patricia R. Floyd (Standing rear) as Delia Patterson and Sophie Dove. (*AEA) 


No comments:

Post a Comment